Wednesday, January 31, 2007

29 January - Auckland Islands - 12 degrees Celcius - 50 degrees 8 minutes South

I woke early and went out to try and see the comet that is in the southern skies at the moment. The dawn was rising so it was a little faint but still impressive. I had no luck getting a photo but I will try again tomorrow.

It's exciting to me right in the middle of the ocean. The swells are about 3 metres, I guess and the boat is definitely rocking around. This feels EXACTLY like being drunk, lurching around the room to find something to hold on to. I am careful to leave all my valuables on the ground so they can't fall.

We had a call that whales were off the port side, but I had no luck seeing them. It is pretty and fresh up there though, with clear blue skies and the birds flying around.

In the afternoon, we kitted up and jumped into the zodiacs for a trip around Enderby Island in the Auckland Islands.

















The sun came out especially from the clouds for our ride and seemed to darken as soon as we got back in. Enderby is a major breeding sites of Hooker Sea Lions and as we approached Sandy Bay we got a great view of the beach, with the hulking beachmasters, paler females and dark pups. Some had ventured up onto the grass and tussock as well. I tried to get some photos of them diving in and out of the water, but wasn't fast enough. It is odd how sleek they look in the water, but so clumsy on the beach.















Further around the coast we came across some Auckland Island Shags clinging to the rock face.
























As we headed back, we got beaten back to the boat by another zodiac, so we cruised back to Sandy Bay for another look. We were lucky enough to see three Yellow Eyed Penguins hiding in the tussock. They were pretty shy, but it was exciting to see my first penguins! I can't wait to see some more.

2 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

cutesy sea lions and penguins. i want one of each please!

February 01, 2007 12:13 AM  
Blogger Nick said...

You're a sexy, sexy man...

February 01, 2007 10:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home